This is the blog of Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor at Indiana University and President of CourseShare (there are NO Guest Blogs and NO advertisements permitted).

Links
Dr. Bonk's Home Page
TrainingShare
PublicationShare

Bonk's Emerging Learning Technologies course

Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching and Learning (V-PORTAL)

Click here for information about my recent book, MOOCs and Open Education Around the World.

Bloggers I follow
My reading list
3 P's of Publishing = Professorship--Keep Pushing On!
Saturday, August 04, 2007
My son and I are on a trip in California from San Fransisco to Monterey to LA to Long Beach to San Diego. We visited the summer of love (1967) scene in San Fran yesterday when walking around Haight and Ashbury streets. What a great even that was. I will try to post some pictures in my FLICKR account when we return from the Pipe Dreams shop we stopped by. Currently, we are in Monterey. We heard REO Speedwagon's rock classic from the 1970s called "Keep Pushing" while driving into town from San Fran. This reminded me to post my 3 P's of publishing advice (for new professors) that I shared with a former student last week.

Keep 3 “”P’s” in mind:

1. Persistence: to get published, you have to keep making revisions that the editors want and detail what you did or find a new journal. Last week, Dr. Yun Jeong Park and I got wonderful reviews on a paper on Macromedia Breeze (now Adobe Connect Pro) which was rejected 2 times previously. But we did not give up. Since I decided to persist on all articles about 10-12 years ago, most, if not all, papers have been published.

2. Patience: to be published, one also needs some patience. (Note that I have a paper that took my 8 years to publish in the Journal of Accounting Education. It sat on the editor's desk for 3 years on 2 separate occassions. Many book chapters can take years to get out. Most of my stuff is publishing faster today than before since I know how to tweak the system a bit and which journals move quicker. But sometimes patience is needed—Vanessa Dennen and I just had a book chapter for Badrul Khan’s Flexible Learning book that took 4 years to come out. And now the publisher wants to publish it in another book. Our patience led to this appearing twice in print.

3. Push
a. push-out: try to get as much out as possible as more is more;
b. push back: know when to take a paper back and submit elsewhere (when the review process is dragging on and on)
c. push-on: move on when you sense you are at a deadend or the work is too extensive for the writing benefits.

Of the 3, push is important daily, though persistence may be slightly more important. If you persist, anything can be published (if it is unique or original in some way). Strive for something unique or original in each article. I always ask myself that before submitting for publication.

These lead to the 4th “P” of Publication and the 5th “P” of Professorhood.

And, no matter what, Keep Pushing, Keep Pushing, Keep Pushing On!!!
The internal person in your head will help you to push on! Push and you will succees. Good luck.


More REO Lyrics here: http://www.19.5degs.com/lyrics/Keep%20Pushin

Goin through all the changes i made so many mistakes, oh yes i did
Tryin to leave behind the heartaches
And sometimes i think i was a little bit crazy, oh yeah
Whoa, i keep pushin on

Keep pushin, keep pushin, keep pushin, keep pushin on

Keep pushin, keep pushin, you know you have got to be so strong
Keep pushin, keep pushin, well even if you think your strength is gone
Keep pushin on
Subscribe to the TravelinEdMan podcast
  posted by Curt Bonk @ 11:16 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 5:39 AM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    1 個意見 - 顯示原來的文章

    MW (My Wish) 提到...
    Yes, persistence counts but patience is hard to develop. At least for me. I am not a patient person and I think this can be a lesson in life to learn. If reincarnation comes around, I certainly do not want to learn it all over again in my next life (if there is one). As I made a sudden turn to academia after running away from it for years, it has been very difficult to publish in the timeline that I want. People here in Taiwan are overly obsessed with SCI or SSCI journals and I just can't buy into that. A published work is a publication and the values are inherent in itself.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Curt Bonk said…

    Ya, in mainland China and Taiwan, Lori, there is an emphasis on this SCI and SSCI stuff. I believe in publishing where you want and when you want. The more freedoms one has, the more one will actually work and publish. Carl Rogers and Abraham Maslow said this long ago. Unfortunately, in higher education, people want to saddle us with extra committee assignments, meetings, and paperwork which take away from those true freedoms. At least you realize these possible freedoms to learn and to grow and are willing to stop and reflect on the silly process we are in. My mentor at West Virginia University back in the early 1990s, Professor Richard (Dickie) Walls, told me this is silly silliness. Smile. It is. Dick was right as usual!

    Push on my friend. You too can succeed despite the silly silliness of academia.

    Read articles on the Chronicle of Higher Education recently on Scholarship in Academia 2.0.

    Scholarship in the Age of Participation, George Siemens, Retrieved July 12, 2007, from http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/journal.htm


    The New Metrics of Scholarly Authority
    Michael Jensen, June 15, 2007, Chronicle of Higher Education
    http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i41/41b00601.htm

    Have your supervisors read those 2 articles first.

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    Thanks, Curt, for the links. I will read them. Well, I don't really have any supervisors and it is hard to explain. And my "sort of" supervisors do not understand what I do or say-in Taiwanese or English. Let alone having them read in English...

     
  • At 10:31 PM, Blogger Curt Bonk said…

    Ha ha....Ok, I see. They are on another planet from you or living in another solar system.

     
  • At 7:01 AM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    No, Curt. They are the normal ones. I am the alien here. At least that's how I often feel.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Curt Bonk
Home: Bloomington, Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a former accountant and CPA and a former educational psychologist. I am now Professor of IST at Indiana University and also adjunct in the School of Informatics. I founded and later sold SurveyShare. As president of CourseShare, LLC, I run around the world training instructors to teach online and give motivational talks about emerging learning technologies. I also write and edit books related to e-learning and blended learning. See bio and vita.

See my complete profile

Click here for information about my recent book, The World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education.

Visit the Indiana University Home Page of E-Learning Expert Curtis J. Bonk.

Recent Posts
Archives
Popular Posts
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER