This is the blog of Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor at Indiana University and President of CourseShare (there are NO Guest Blogs and NO advertisements permitted).

Links
Dr. Bonk's Home Page
TrainingShare
PublicationShare

Bonk's Emerging Learning Technologies course

Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching and Learning (V-PORTAL)

Click here for information about my recent book, MOOCs and Open Education Around the World.

Bloggers I follow
My reading list
The World is Open book release...You too can be Bonked!
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Ok, my book, The World is Open: How Web Technology is Revolutionizing Education, was released. Amazon is shipping it 2 weeks ahead of schedule. I got the order I placed last week Thursday and Friday. You can order it through my WorldisOpen.com book website. You can also get the prequel and all the references, Web resources, and reviews. Some excerpts too!

Much happening. If you want to hear me speak on the book, there was a podcast interview yesterday by Tim Holt’s Intended Consequences Podcasts. Tim is from El Paso, Texas. He started this as a hobby and now many people listen in. The reactions have been good. This is a podcast series for people with books in educational technology.

http://snipurl.com/n6hop
http://web.me.com/timholt/Intended_Consequenses/
Intended_Consequences_Podcast/Entries/2009/7/13_The_World_is_Open._A_Conversation_with_Curtis_Bonk.html


If, instead of hearning me, you would like to see me in action or get a quick overview of the book, there is now a videostream talk on my “The World is Open” book (video, slides, and audio). This Webstreamed presentation using Adobe Connect Pro was posted today by the Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE/Ed Media people). This is at the AACE site.
http://www.editlib.org/view/31448

Note: you or your students can watch this (it is 1 hour 25 minutes long). It is a make-up or redone presentations since we had problems at the conference in Hawaii during Ed Media.

"Today I was also interviewed today on my wikibook research for Educational News again. An Interview with Curtis Bonk: A Look at Wikibooks and Wikibookians.” by Michael Shaughnessy, July 14, 2009

I will speak on the book for Ednak (a site for "thought networking for online educators") on July 30th. I will also be interviewed by the USA Radio Networks and Armed Forces Radio the following day (July 31)."

I will also be interviewed by the USA Radio Networks and Armed Forces Radio the following day (July 31).

On August 4th, I will have a Webinar on the book for the Denver chapter of the International Society of Performance Improvement. I will also be interviewed that day by for a 30 minute Radio Interview on KUCR (88.3 fm) in LA. The show will broadcast at 6:30 pm on the 4th, and again at 8:30 am the following morning (August 5th). This will be in their Education Today show. Education Today has a 15 year history – they deal with any and all issues in the world of education. KUCR is located on the campus of the University of California, Riverside, and its signal covers approximately 20% of the LA metro area – including the Inland Empire, as well as portions of LA & Orange counties.

Today (July 14th) was special. It was the 20th anniversary of my son, Alex, coming from Korea. This coming Friday is also special. It is the 20th anniversary of my dissertation defense at the University of Wisconsin. Of course, all my advisors could care less about my presentation; instead, they all wanted to meet my son who was waiting patiently outside the door. And now, 20 years later, Alex and I sit next to each other putting hundreds of mailing packages together on my The World is Open book to send to people. It is a huge mess. But fun.
Subscribe to the TravelinEdMan podcast
  posted by Curt Bonk @ 11:06 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger George Siemens said…

    Hey Curt - congrats!!! Huge achievement with your book...I'm looking forward to reading it.

    Sounds like you have lots going on...but great to see that you're a nostalgic too. What a difference 20 years makes :).

    All the best...

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger MW (My Wish) said…

    I'll second George's comment on your being nostalgic..ha ha. Looks like Alex has turned into a fine young man. Good job, Curt, on raising children and writing books.

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said…

    Excellent book, it is just an excellent resource for educators around the world. Funny thing is, when I showed my copy of the book to my Mom (an edtechteacher in the late 1980's and 1990's) - she said, oh, I know him - he is one of my favorite speakers.

    And thus, you have passed to another generation of fans. Kudos to you for reinventing yourself and being willing to learn, change and adapt. We need more people like you who do such and also embrace beginners (like me.) Best wishes and excellent work!

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger Karl Fisch said…

    Congrats Curt - I received my copy and am hoping to read it soon . . . well, okay, it's the start of school, so it may be a little while before I get to it!

    My wife, daughter and I are coming up on the nine year anniversary of getting our daughter in China, so I can relate to that part of the story.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Curt Bonk
Home: Bloomington, Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a former accountant and CPA and a former educational psychologist. I am now Professor of IST at Indiana University and also adjunct in the School of Informatics. I founded and later sold SurveyShare. As president of CourseShare, LLC, I run around the world training instructors to teach online and give motivational talks about emerging learning technologies. I also write and edit books related to e-learning and blended learning. See bio and vita.

See my complete profile

Click here for information about my recent book, The World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education.

Visit the Indiana University Home Page of E-Learning Expert Curtis J. Bonk.

Recent Posts
Archives
Popular Posts
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER