This is the blog of Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor at Indiana University and President of CourseShare (there are NO Guest Blogs and NO advertisements permitted).

Links
Dr. Bonk's Home Page
TrainingShare
PublicationShare

Bonk's Emerging Learning Technologies course

Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching and Learning (V-PORTAL)

Click here for information about my recent book, MOOCs and Open Education Around the World.

Bloggers I follow
My reading list
Big News! Distance Ed Founder and Father Michael G. Moore to receive honorary degrees from UW–Madison
Tuesday, March 10, 2020
Fantastic news....one of the founders and fathers of the field of distance learning, Dr. Michael G. Moore (Wikipedia), to be given an honorary doctorate in May at the University of Wisconsin (Michael's alma mater and mine too). 



The last time I saw Michael was August 2016 at the Wisconsin Distance Teaching and Learning Conference in Madison (see picture above and below...Michael is in front).



Read this article from March 9, 2020.
V. Craig Jordan, Michael G. Moore to receive honorary degrees from UW–Madison, Doug Erickson, University of Wisconsin-Madison News : https://news.wisc.edu/v-craig-jordan-michael-g-moore-to-receive-honorary-degrees-from-uw-madison. 

I am delighted to have been asked to provide a support letter for such a distinction. Below are three paragraphs from my six page support/nomination letter:


"Ironically, I arrived in Madison for graduate school in January 1986, which was just a few months prior to when Dr. Moore last taught a summer course at UW-Madison as a visiting professor. In retrospect, I truly wish that I had met him during the months in which we overlapped and had enrolled in his graduate seminar in distance education as it was the only such graduate level course in the United States, and perhaps the entire world, at the time. My mistake! As the enormous explosion of online and blended forms of learning revealed a decade or two later, Dr. Moore was far ahead of his time. Because of that missed opportunity, I would not learn much about this field of distance education until after I completed my doctorate, even though I took correspondence and television courses in educational psychology to qualify for graduate school.


I first got a chance to work with Professor Moore in 2002 when he was preparing his first “Handbook of Distance Education” to be published the following year by the prestigious Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. My colleague, Dr. Vanessa Dennen, and I wrote a chapter on “Frameworks for research, design, benchmarks, training, and pedagogy in Web-based distance education” for that particular handbook. That timely and tremendously successful volume was widely read and discussed. Dr. Dennen and I were privileged to be asked to write a follow-up chapter in the second Handbook of Distance Education that appeared in 2007. As an indicator of its popularity and importance, the fourth edition of that handbook is scheduled to be published later this year.

Four years after his handbook first appeared, I was most fortunate that Dr. Moore agreed to write the foreword to my own handbook, notably, “The Handbook of Blended Learning: Global Perspectives, Local Designs,” published by Pfeiffer/John Wiley in 2006. He was the first person that my co-editor, Charles Graham, and I thought of for such a prominent and important task. As someone who had worked in blended environments for decades, Dr. Moore was indeed the natural choice. Importantly, he could explain the history and role of blended forms of learning across society during the past couple of centuries."

There is more. There is always Michael Moore.



Labels: , , , , , ,

Subscribe to the TravelinEdMan podcast
  posted by Curt Bonk @ 12:04 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Curt Bonk
Home: Bloomington, Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a former accountant and CPA and a former educational psychologist. I am now Professor of IST at Indiana University and also adjunct in the School of Informatics. I founded and later sold SurveyShare. As president of CourseShare, LLC, I run around the world training instructors to teach online and give motivational talks about emerging learning technologies. I also write and edit books related to e-learning and blended learning. See bio and vita.

See my complete profile

Click here for information about my recent book, The World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education.

Visit the Indiana University Home Page of E-Learning Expert Curtis J. Bonk.

Recent Posts
Archives
Popular Posts
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER