This is the blog of Dr. Curt Bonk, Professor at Indiana University and President of CourseShare (there are NO Guest Blogs and NO advertisements permitted).

Links
Dr. Bonk's Home Page
TrainingShare
PublicationShare

Bonk's Emerging Learning Technologies course

Video Primers in an Online Repository for e-Teaching and Learning (V-PORTAL)

Click here for information about my recent book, MOOCs and Open Education Around the World.

Bloggers I follow
My reading list
The World is Open on the Radio--Perhaps even a little red Sinclair Transistor Radio
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
What a hectic day! That has been my life since my book was released in early July. Just trying to catch my breath each day. This time I am talking radio. Yes, radio. Something I loved growing up as a kid in West Allis, Wisconsin (street address was "2468"...now who do we appreciate? Yes, that was the address believe it or not.). Basically this is the near west or southwest side of Milwaukee. So I just say I am from Milwaukee. Nice city, but I will likely never live there again.

Back when I was like 7, 8, or 9 years old, I had a lovely red Sinclair transistor radio. I listened to it when fishing with my dad or my Grandma and Grandpa Goronja, swinging on the swing in my backyard (with a big ol' pine tree next to me), or sitting in my room. Lots of British invasion and Bubble Gum music. Let's see, there were the Rolling Stones (still around), Beatles, Scott McKenzie (telling me and everyone else to move to San Francisco), the Kinks, Cream, and Eric Clapton (with various groups..he's still around too), as well as Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, the Moody Blues, The Who, Procol Harem, Eric Burden and the Animals (also speaking about San Franciscan Nights, the Hollies, The Turtles, the Beach Boys, Stevie Wonder (still around), Donovan, the Yardbirds, the Association, the Spencer Davis Group, and soon Led Zeppelin, the Guess Who, Ozzy Osborn and his group Black Sabbath as well as Emerson, Lake and Palmer (ELP) and Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and sometime later, the E-Learning Gang (ELG...Was that a group?). That little radio was my life line to the world beyond our little red brick house. It made me more globally aware.

Here is a picture of what one looked like. Memories! Here is a pic with the carrying case and ear plugs. So cool!

I had that so long ago. Wow. The Web is so cool. Lots of emotions rush through my body when I see it again. It has been decades. It lasted a good long time. In those days, when technology died you really struggled with throwing it away. Not today I guess.

Ok, now to the connection and why I am blogging. In my last blog post, I discussed the Mission to Learn website and podcasted interview about my book, The World Is Open (TWIO): How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education. Podcasts are great and something I could not listen to on my Sinclair Dino Supreme gas pump transistor radio. Sure, I used that radio for music, but today, it would be for information such as on NPR; that is, assuming I was not listening to an audiobook in the CD player.

During the past 4-5 weeks, I have been on many radio shows talking about the TWIO book. Now these I could have listened to on my little red radio. These shows have included Wisconsin Public Radio (twice; including a show called “To the Best of Our Knowledge”), the USA Radio Network (twice; including “Point of View” with John Clemens and sent to over 1,000 stations), and yesterday I did Media Tracks Communications show called "Viewpoints" for 360 stations). There have been shows in Manchester, NH/Boston area, Greenville, South Carolina, San Diego, Grand Rapids, and North Carolina.

Today I was on a panel for online education for a station in Louisville, Kentucky. This show was archived already. Several other ones too. So I thought I would share the links to the 7 archived shows (so far) in case you wanted to listen to any of them. I really liked the San Diego NPR interview which is #4 below. Other people I have been talking to really think that one went great. I also liked the 2nd one on Wisconsin Public Radio since it played in my home state and my Aunt Rosemary, my brother-in-law Chuck Maas, and others heard it.

The first one I did back on July 23rd (#7 below), I could not hear the interviewer well once the studio went live. His voice went faint on my phone and so I just had to go with the flow and sorta hear him as best I could. But Dr. Alvin Jones was a great interviewer and does many famous author books. It was an honor to be on his show. On the 1st one listed below, I think I went a bit fast (the show in Louisville) but I think it went well overall. There were two other panelists who joined me to discuss online learning.

So here they are...so far.

Archived Radio Shows on "The World is Open" (TWIO) book and related topics:
1. September 1, 2009, Louisville, Kentucky, Length: 50 Minutes: Radio interview for “State of Affairs/Studio 619” show with Julie Kredens, interview on "World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education,” panel discussion, and call in show panel with Allen Lind, Vice President for Information and Technology, Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education and Diane Calhoun-French, Provost, Jefferson Community and Technical College, WFPL.

Archived audio: http://www.wfpl.org/2009/09/01/the-world-is-open-how-technology-is-changing-education/

MP3 Audiostreaming: http://archive.wfpl.org/soa/20090901SOA.mp3

3. August 19, 2009, Madison, Wisconsin, Length: 50 Minutes: Radio interview for “Conversations with Joy Cardin,” Wisconsin Public Radio (WPR).

Archived podcast: http://www.wpr.org/webcasting/audioarchives_display.cfm?Code=jca

Stream with Real Player: http://clipcast.wpr.org:8080/ramgen/wpr/jca/jca090819c.rm

3. August 19th, 2009, Grand Rapid, Michigan, Length: 9 Minutes: Radio interview for “Morning Show with Shelley Irwin,” Shelley Irwin and Kevin Chapman, WGVU-AM/FM (NPR).

MP3 Audiostreaming: http://www.trainingshare.com/video/3581H.mp3

4. August 18, 2009, San Diego, California, Length: 24 minutes: Radio interview for “These Days” show with Maureen Cavanaugh, Hank Crook, “Internet is Increasing Access to Education Around the World,” KPBS 89.5 FM.

Interview transcript and podcast: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/aug/18/internet-increasing-access-education-around-world/

Audiosteam with Windows Media Player: http://kpbs.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/audio/2009/08/18/WebTech.mp3

5. August 5th, 2009, Boston, Massachusetts, Length: 31 Minutes: Radio interview for “LifeTips Radio.” Amanda Smyth, Boston, MA. Archived and available.

Archived Podcast: http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/life-tips/2009/how-web-technology-is-revolutionizing-education/

MP3 Audiostreaming: http://www2.webmasterradio.fm/mp3/lifetips/09/LT080509.mp3


6. July 29, 2009, Southport, Connecticut, Length: 2 Minutes: Taped radio interview about “The World Is Open” book on radio program, “Something You Should Know,” Mike Carruthers.

Audio Transcript: http://www.somethingyoushouldknow.net/transcript08_10_09.htm
MP3 Audiostream: http://www.somethingyoushouldknow.net/previous-weeks-programs.htm

Direct to Real Player: http://www.somethingyoushouldknow.net/realaudio1/2009_08_10_pgm.ram

7. July 23, 2009, Oxford, North Carolina, Length: 8 Minutes: Live interview about “The World Is Open” book on the Paradise Radio Network WCBQ-AM 1340, WHNC-AM, by Dr. Alvin Augustus Jones.

Archived Podcast with Windows Media Player: http://www.dralvinjones.com/detailmedia.php?id=3857

Direct Link to MP3 Audiostreaming: http://www.dralvinjones.com/content/01%20Curtis%20Bonk.wma

So there you have it; of the dozen or so radio shows wherein I have been interviewed on the TWIO book, these 7 radio programs have archived the audio and a few included the transcript. More will be posted soon as I try to keep this page up-to-date. You can find most of these and more in my "The World is Open" book website under "Media Interviews."

Give a listen. See what you think. Which one do you like best? Seems much interest in the book. So, in effect, the World is Open on the radio.

Wish i was an 8 year old kid again listening to such shows on my little red Sinclair transistor radio. Wish I still swinging on that swing in West Allis, Wisconsin.
Subscribe to the TravelinEdMan podcast
  posted by Curt Bonk @ 7:10 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Mike said…

    I love the Sinclair radio, shaped like a gas pump.

    Encourage everyone to listen to the KPBS interview.

    Mike

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Curt Bonk said…

    I loved my interview with Maureen on KPBS in San Diego. Great person (so thoughtful and energetic) and fantastic session and radio station. Thanks Mike!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Curt Bonk
Home: Bloomington, Indiana, United States
About Me: I am a former accountant and CPA and a former educational psychologist. I am now Professor of IST at Indiana University and also adjunct in the School of Informatics. I founded and later sold SurveyShare. As president of CourseShare, LLC, I run around the world training instructors to teach online and give motivational talks about emerging learning technologies. I also write and edit books related to e-learning and blended learning. See bio and vita.

See my complete profile

Click here for information about my recent book, The World is Open: How Web Technology Is Revolutionizing Education.

Visit the Indiana University Home Page of E-Learning Expert Curtis J. Bonk.

Recent Posts
Archives
Popular Posts
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER